What’s Cooking! helps people prepare more healthy meals at home. Emphasis is on meals that are low-cost and can be prepared quickly. By preparing more healthy meals at home, we can reduce the frequency that we eat out, spend more time together as a family, and eat healthier meals.
Healthy Tip of the Week: Survey the buffet; Take a lap around the buffet before you start to fill up your plate. Plan ahead so you know what to choose and what to limit. (MyPlate.gov)
Grandma’s Chicken Vegetable Soup
Serves: 4 • Prep: 30 min.
- 1 – 14 1/2 oz. can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb. (3 medium) potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 lb. boned and skinned chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- In 3-quart saucepan over medium heat combine broth and water.
- Cover and bring to boil. Add potatoes and carrot; cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, zucchini, onions and basil; bring to boil, reduce heat, cover & cook until chicken is opaque throughout, about 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamins A and C and potassium, and a good source of folate, magnesium and fiber.
Recipe Credit: Fruits & Veggies More Matters
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories: 240; Carbohydrates: 25g; Total Fat: 3.1g; Cholesterol: 65mg; Saturated Fat: 1.0g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; % of Calories from Fat: 12%; Sodium: 216mg; Protein: 28g