- This event has passed.
2020 Texas Fruit Conference DEADLINE
September 19 @ 5:00 pm
We are excited to bring you the 2020 Texas Fruit Conference virtually on Zoom this year!
When: September 21st and 22nd
(Note that the Texas Fruit Conference is listed on AgriLife Register under Webinars tab)
Registration Deadline: September 19th
Fees: Day 1-Intro to Fruit Workshop $50;
Day 2-Texas’ Fruit Future, Virtual Fruit Tree Nursery Field Trip, and Panel Discussion (3 sessions)-$35.
Combined Package Price(Both Days) -$70
Educational Program Schedule:
Monday, Sept. 21
- 1:00 pm—Texas Commercial Fruit Production and Marketing Options, Monte Nesbitt
- 1:20 pm—Perennial Orchard Site Selection, Jim Kamas
- 1:45 pm—Orchard Irrigation Basics, Larry Stein
- 2:10 pm—Orchard Site Preparation, Stephen Janak
- 2:45 pm—Spacing & Planting, Monte Nesbitt
- 3:05 pm—Protected Culture Strategies, Jacy Lewis
- 3:30 pm—Orchard Establishment Practices, Larry Stein
- 4:15 pm—Training and Pruning, Jim Kamas
- 4:35 pm—Food Safety Laws, Juan Anciso
Tuesday, Sept. 22
Session 1-Texas’ Fruit Future-Exploring new growing practices, new crops and new marketing opportunities
- 9:00 am—Low Maintenance/High Value Fruit Crops, Jim Kamas
- 9:30 am—Sustaining & Expanding Strawberry Production Across Texas, Russ Wallace
- 10:00 am—Golden Kiwifruit Challenges & Opportunities, Tim Hartmann
- 10:30 am—Muscadine Grapes, Anyone? Justin Scheiner
- 11:00 am—Texas’ Peach Dreams, Monte Nesbitt
Session 2: A Virtual Field Trip to Fruit Tree Nurseries in Texas: Gain insight into how fruit trees are commercially propagated in Texas
- 1:30 pm, Womack Nursery, De Leon, Texas
- 2:15 pm, Texas Pecan Nursery, Chandler, Texas
Session 3: Hard Questions—Good Answers—Live panel discussion with Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Fruit Team; Opportunities for participants to present questions and get our best expert opinions.
- 3:30 to 5:00 pm; Participants—Monte Nesbitt, Jim Kamas, Larry Stein, Justin Scheiner, Tim Hartmann, Jacy Lewis, Stephen Janak